Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wal-Mart And Costco Holding Their Own

I just read today that retailers in general are doing worse than expected, but Wal-Mart and Costco are both holding their own right now. I think I know why.

When I go to Wal-Mart or Costco and find something I like, I don't have to worry much about whether the price is competitive. I know it is. The first few times I went to Costco or the Wal-Mart Super Center near my house I priced out several items, and compared the prices to local grocery stores. On average I saved 10%-15% shopping at Wal-Mart or Costco.

And now I just have to tell you about the Costco frozen Ground Beef patties (maybe I'm reminded of them because I just ate one tonight!). If you have a Costco membership and you haven't tried the Costco frozen Ground Beef Patties, you've got to give them a try. We learned about them from some friends a while back, but I have to admit I wasn't too enthused about frozen burgers. I mean, how good could they be? Anyway, they went on and on about how good they were so that convinced us to give them a try. We did, and now we're hooked. You just can't beat the value they offer, and you don't have to mess with forming hamburger patties by hand.

The patties are 78% lean, each patty is 4 oz and they come in a 6 lb. bag. Costco also sells sirloin gound beef patties and we've tried these, but we prefer the regular ones as they taste better to us. I don't know the exact price off-hand, but like I said earlier, it's because I've lost the habit of checking prices when I shop at Costco.

We cook the hamburger patties as follows: Turn on a skillet to medium heat and spray with PAM. Add the patties and cook a couple minutes until the edges start to thaw and turn red. Sprinkle on garlic powder, onion powder, McCormick Pepper Season-All and a bit of fresh ground black pepper to taste. Turn after another minute or two and repeat the spices on the other side. Cook to desired doneness and serve. They go great with corn on the cob, green beans, and mashed potatoes. They're also great on the grill!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home