Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Save Money Haggling At Discount Tire

A few years ago I bought two new tires at a local Discount Tire store. When they quoted me the price of the tires, I asked if that was the best they could do. The salesperson said he could take an additional 10% off, which he did.

Unfortunately, one of these tires recently went flat as I was driving on the freeway because of a small nail in the tread. Knowing the age of the tires and looking at the tread on the flat tire as I was putting the spare on, I was thinking I should probably have both tires replaced.

I took the car in to the local Discount Tire and they assessed the tread that was left, and both front tires were in the yellow zone on the depth gauge. They recommended both front tires be replaced, and offered to replace the flat tire for free under the road hazard warranty, and offered to replace the other tire for $83 plus shop fees. I had the receipt with me from the previous purchase that showed I had paid $74 for each tire a couple years ago, and asked the person helping me if he could match that price. He said he could, and reduced the price of that tire to $74, so just by asking I saved $9 plus tax.

I've been buying tires from Discount Tire for years. While they don't offer Discount Tire coupons or promotion codes per se, they do offer great prices, and often have $50 to $100 rebates available on certain tires.

If you ever buy tires or rims from Discount Tire, when they quote you the price, I recommend you ask for a 10% discount, or ask if that's the best they can do. Chances are they'll offer you a better price!

See more money saving tips.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home